- 8 small-medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped (a variety of both sweet and tart - about 6 cups worth)
- dash lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- heaping 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- heaping 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup (little more than 1/2 one stick) non-dairy butter melted, such as Earth Balance
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Add apples to a large bowl or plastic bag and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss to coat with granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt.
- Transfer to baking dish and set aside.
- Rinse and dry bowl and add brown sugar, flour, meal, oats, cinnamon and salt and stir. Add melted butter and mix until it resembles wet sand.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples and bake until apples are soft and topping is golden brown (between 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Let rest 10-15 minutes before serving. Is great with vanilla ice cream - caramel sauce is also a lovely addition.
RECIPE: Minimalist Baker