- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3cups cooked white rice
- 2cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 -3tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce (regular can be used as well)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until it just begins to soften and turns color.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden.
- Add spices and Worcestershire, and stir into onion and garlic.
- (The first time I made this, I was afraid to add the full 3 Tbsp of Worcestershire, but the addition of the rice balances the flavor out).
- Next, add the beans and then the rice.
- Combine the rice and beans evenly and cook until mixture is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro or green onions if you prefer.
- Vegetarians use only the vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.