- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed & roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions to pan and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a glass bowl and cover with a paper towel. Steam in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until potatoes are just fork tender.*
- Increase heat to medium-high and add sweet potatoes to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and and saute about 5 minutes until evenly browned, stirring often to prevent burning. Add maple syrup to pan and toss to coat, saute 2 minutes more. Add chipotle chili pepper and saute a minute more.
- Lower heat to medium and add kale to skillet. Season again with salt and pepper. Allow to cook until kale is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- * Pre-steaming the sweet potatoes is optional but highly recommended. Increase saute time if not steaming potatoes.