- ⅓ cup rolled oats gluten free if necessary
- 1 small apple peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup 100% pure apple juice
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk I used almond
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or add to taste
For the toppings
- ½ apple peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a small saucepan, combine oats, diced apples, apple juice, almond milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer until liquid has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, for about 8-10 minutes. Add maple syrup to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced apple chunks and coconut sugar. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has melted and formed a caramel-like sauce on the apples. Stir in the pecans.
- Serve the oatmeal immediately, topped with the caramelized apples. Enjoy!