For: 8 PattiesFor The Filling
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- Pinch allspice
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos/tamari/coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter , (I used Earth Balance)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, spring onion, and garlic and saute stirring constantly until onion is soft. About 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, turmeric, paprika, cumin, allspice, lentil and stir to coat.
- Add water or broth and bring to boil. Cover saucepan and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and lentils are tender.
- Stir in liquid aminos, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool while preparing the crust.
- Preheat oven 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour. flax seed meal, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, sea salt, and curry powder
- Stir in vegan butter until the dough resembles crumbs. Stir in almond milk and use hand to form a dough ball.
- Further divide ball into 8 smaller balls. Roll out each ball in between 2 parchment paper sheets using a rolling pin, about a 4-inch circle.
- Remove top layer sheet, add 1 tablespoon of lentil filling on one half of circle, making sure to leave edges clear. Fold over the other half, by folding parchment paper and seal crimping edges with a fork.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Source: Healthier Steps