- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
- Big pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes or to taste
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, sliced or diced
- 3 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 100 g green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 300 g paella rice
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g frozen peas
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley plus extra for garnish
- Add the saffron to the hot stock, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Place the olive oil in a large, wide pan and add the onion, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, chilli and paprika. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the peppers, tomatoes, green beans, paella rice and vegetable stock, plus some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 15 minutes, with the lid off.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 5 minutes. By this time all the stock should have all been absorbed.
- Finally stir in the juice from 2 of the lemon quarters and the chopped parsley. Serve scattered with more parsley and with the remaining lemon quarters.
If you want to add leftover cooked chicken, pre-cooked prawns or pre-cooked mixed seafood to this, add them in at the same time as the frozen peas. Make sure you heat through until piping hot.
Source: Easy Peasy Foodie