- 1 head roasted garlic (see instructions for method)
- 10 ounces (~ 2 1/4 cups dry) macaroni noodles* (use gluten-free pasta for GF)
- 4 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour (or sub arrowroot powder for GF)
- 2 - 2 1/4 cups Blue Diamond Almondmilk Original Unsweetened
- Salt and pepper to taste (~1/2 tsp each)
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 4-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast, plus more for topping
- optional: 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free for GF)
- To roast garlic, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and cut off the very top of a head of garlic. Drizzle the top with a bit of oil, a sprinkle of salt and loosely wrap in foil.
- Place directly on oven rack and roast for 45 minutes - 1 hour, depending on size of garlic. You'll know it's done when the garlic is very fragrant and the bulb appears soft and golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To prepare pasta, add macaroni to a large pot of boiling, well-salted water. Stir to prevent noodles from sticking, and boil according to package instructions (about 8-10 minutes). Drain and cover with a towel to keep moist - set aside.
- To prepare sauce, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add 4 Tbsp oil and minced garlic. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Immediately add 4 Tbsp flour (or arrowroot powder) and whisk - cook for 1 minute. (Later on, if the sauce is not thick enough, add an extra 1 Tbsp later on during the blending process. I found 4 Tbsp to be the perfect amount).
- Add almond milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking to prevent clumps, until 2 cups have been added. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. (Add the additional 1/4 cup almond milk later on if the sauce appears too thick.)
- Transfer sauce to a blender and add roasted garlic (squeeze from base to push out cloves), 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed - you want it pretty well salted + cheesy, so don't be shy.
- Return sauce back to skillet and cook over low heat until warmed and slightly thickened - about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked, drained pasta and toss to coat. Then top with 1 more Tbsp nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs.
- Broil on high on the top rack of your oven for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown (see photo). Watch closely as it can burn quickly.
- Serve immediately. I love topping mine with an extra pinch of vegan parmesan cheese and a little red pepper flake.
- Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, though best when fresh. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop - add extra almond milk if it's dry.
*Most store-bought, conventional pastas are egg-free. Check package to ensure vegan-friendliness.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1/4 of recipe with panko bread crumb topping.
Source: Minimalist Baker