2 medium russet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion
4 large carrots
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper chili flakes
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
3 cups of vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Clean each russet potatoes, rub with a dash of olive oil and salt, and wrap in foil. Cook potatoes for 1 hour or until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a large stock pot over a medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, diced onion, and roughly chopped carrots. Add basil and crushed red chili pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and roughly chopped potatoes (skin and all) to stock pot. Bring everything to a boil, and then, let simmer for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender adding vegetable stock or water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and preferably with homemade bread croutons.