1 pound firm or extra firm tofu
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup dill pickle relish or minced dill pickle
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp minced, fresh parsley (curly or flat leaf is fine)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
8-12 slices of rye bread
room temperature vegan butter
vegan cheese for 4-6 sandwiches
1. Drain the tofu, and press for about 5 minutes. Then crumble the tofu into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir everything together.
3. Butter 2 slices of bread, as you would for grilled cheese. Spread a generous portion of the tofu on the un-buttered side of one slice. Top with cheese, and the remaining slice of buttered bread.
4. Cook on a griddle or in a frying pan, over medium heat, until crisp on the first side. Flip and cook on the second side.
5. Allow the sandwich to rest for 2-3 minutes, before cutting and serving.