1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
egg replacer *see note below
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (Daiya cheddar shreds)
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 Tbsp mixed herb blend – or use freshly chopped herbs (about 1/4 cup)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
add some chopped jalapenos for some spicy flair!
* 3 Tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 1/4 cup water to activate
* 1 tsp chia or flax seeds + 1/4 cup water
* 1/3 cup applesauce or butternut squash puree (these will change the flavor a bit)
1. Toss the dry ingredients.
2. Mix together your egg replacer - let sit to thicken a bit (sitting time only needed for seeds or Ener-G replacers.)
3. Add in the wet ingredients, mix well. Fold in the egg replacer.
4. Fold in the fold-ins. Batter should be wet yet slightly thick and chunky.
5. Add a few spoonfuls of batter to a hot waffle iron. Cook through.
6. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Serve warm and crispy on the outside – chewy on inside.