When on the go, grab one of your favorite tortilla or sandwich wraps; spread vegan cream cheese substitute; lay on some vegan lunch slices (Tofurkey or Field Roast deli slices are great); add a few leaves of spinach or your favorite green; roll up and voila. Feel free to add some condiments, just check the label for no-no ingredients.
Black Bean Burger Patty:
2 cups black beans (no salt added or low sodium)
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup finely ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 Tbsp freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 swiss chard or butter lettuce leaves
1 small tomato
pinch of salt & pepper
Black Bean Burger Patty:
1. Thoroughly rinse and strain black beans. Chop the yellow onion, garlic, and cilantro leaves. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until well mixed. Transfer the contents to a food processor and pulse until it reaches a smooth yet firm consistency. Add water 1 Tbsp at a time to help reach your desired consistency.
Note: The mixture should be moist and smooth but still firm. It should not be crumbly.
2. After the mixture has reached the proper consistency, divide it into 4 patties. Place a pan over medium/high heat and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place patties in the pan and cover and grill for about 4 minutes on each side. Spray the pan with cooking spray in between flips to prevent sticking. Continue cooking and flipping until they become firm and browned but not dry.
1. Wash and dry lettuce. Cut the tomato into slices. Remove 1/4 of the Avocado “meat” from skin. Place half of the Black Bean Burger patty and half of each ingredient into the lettuce leaves, creating two wraps. Sprinkle with just a pinch of salt & pepper to taste. Wrap the leaves into tight rolls and then slice in half.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1/2 cup Vegenaise, or other vegan mayo
1 pound medium asparagus spears
1/2 vidalia onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Grilled flatbread or tortillas (I like spelt tortillas)
1 small head red leaf lettuce
1. Heat a large skillet. Add quinoa and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups water and stir. Bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat to a simmer until quinoa is tender and quinoa filaments are visible. Turn off heat, and drain quinoa, if necessary. Stir in lemon juice, zest, mayo, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with lid to keep warm.
2. Steam asparagus slightly. Combine asparagus, onion and oil. Grill about 10 minutes until browned.
3. Spread 1/2 cup quinoa over a tortilla. Place some onions and 4 aparagus spears on the quinoa. Top with lettuce. Roll each sandwich tightly and cut in half, using wooden skewers or toothpicks to hold together, if needed.
Check out our 31-day collection of delectable, healthy recipes that will help motivate you through the month of March.