makes 4 generous servings
28 oz. can of fire-roasted tomatoes
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (or to taste)
1 bunch of kale
1 1/4 cups rice, cooked
3/4 cup frozen pea + sliced carrot blend, organic
2 bay leaves (remove before serving)
1 heaping tbsp chili powder
pepper/salt to taste (at least 1/2 tsp salt)
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves, chopped
2-4 pinches of cayenne (to taste - adds warmth)
1 Tofurky Beer Brat vegan sausage, sliced (optional)
garnish: fresh parsley (you can also add a handful of chopped parsley to stew)
1. Rice: If you do not have cooked rice on hand, you will need to cook ahead of time and set aside. (You could also add rice directly to boiling broth + more broth or water and cook for a longer period of time.)
2. Add your tomatoes to a blender or food processor. Blend on low until smooth. Add in 1 cup of veggie broth to ease the blending a bit.
3. Pour the tomato mixture plus remaining veggie broth in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.
4. Add in the spices, bay leaves, frozen veggies and reduce heat to simmer. When the frozen veggies have broken up and appear cooked through add in all remaining ingredients like the finely sliced kale and rice. Season to taste adding more spice and salt if desired.
5. Simmer on low until ready to serve - at least ten minutes or until Tofurky becomes tender.
6. Serve with fresh parsley on top. Remove bay leaves before serving.