2 teaspoons organic canola oil
1 green chili chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds(optional)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi) (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder/curry powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon amchur(dry mango powder) or Chaat masala powder(or add lemon juice to the potatoes when cooked)
2 medium boiled potatoes. Mashed or cubed small.
1/4 cup green peas(optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds.
2. Add the fennel or coriander seeds and green chili. Mix for half a minute.
3. Add the asafoetida, turmeric, garam masala, mix, and add the peas if using, and cook for half a minute.
4. Add in the boiled potatoes, salt to taste. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add in the amchur or chaat masala, cumin powder, chili powder, cilantro. Mix well, taste, adjust salt and spice.
6. Take off heat.
To Make French Toasts
1. Mix 2/3 cup chickpea flour and add 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp rock salt(kala namak or Chaat Masala), 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida(hing, optional), 1 teaspoon oil, 1 teaspoon green chili paste or chili/cayenne powder, and about 2/3+ cup water and mix well to get a lump free thin-ish batter in a deep bowl.
Or make your own favorite French toast batter.
2. Take a bread slice. Mash the stuffing and pack it on top of one slice. Top with another slice. Dip the whole toast in the batter to coat well,
3. Pan fry with 2-3 teaspoons of oil, on medium heat, partially covered, 3-4 minutes each side.
4. Serve hot with ketchup, Cilantro chutney, sriracha, other sauces/chutneys of choice.