1 lb fat-reduced firm tofu, sliced horizontally in 3 slabs, and
pressed for 45 minutes.
1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Garlic granules
1 tsp. Onion granules
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp. Dried tarragon
1/2 tsp Dried Dill Weed
1/2 tsp. Dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. Curry Powder
1/4 tsp. Dry mustard
1/4 tsp. Ground rosemary
1/4 tsp. chipotle pepper
Dipping Liquid Mix:
2/3 cup low-fat non dairy milk
2 tsp. Fresh lemon juice (or vinegar)
2/3 cup brown rice flour (sorghum or white rice work too), as needed
1 tbsp. Canola or olive oil (or more if needed)
1. Mix all seasoning ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Combine milk and lemon juice and stir together
3. Place flour in a mixing bowl.
4. Cut each slab of tofu into 4 triangles, resulting in 12 altogether. Dredge tofu first (one piece at a time) in flour, soured milk, and seasoning mix. This recipe makes enough mix for 2 recipes at least, so you may wish to put only half of the mix in a shallow bowl for this step, so you can use the rest later. Follow these steps for all the pieces.
5. Coat a big skilled with a layer of canola or olive oil, and heat it. Add the tofu pieces in a layer, browning and then turning over once. Also turn them on their side to brown the sides as well. You may have to do several batches, adding oil as needed.
6. Place fried tofu on plate with paper towel or on rack. Left over tofu may be heated in oven for a crispy exterior.