2 large portabello mushrooms, caps removed
4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
olive oil, for frying
black pepper, to taste
2 whole wheat hamburger buns, warmed
3 -4 tablespoons hummus, for spreading (homemade is best)
2 slices tomatoes
4 slices onions (red or yellow)
loose leaf lettuce or alfalfa sprouts or fresh baby spinach leaves
- Marinate the mushrooms in the teriyaki sauce.
- For best results, marinate at least 3 hours.
- Sautè the mushrooms on medium heat until softened but still slightly firm.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer mushrooms to warmed buns and top with remaining ingredients.
- I usually serve the burgers with a tossed Romaine lettuce salad and fresh fruit in season.