250 grams / 8.8 oz tofu crumbled
1/2 cup soy yogurt
2 teaspoons grainy mustard
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon turmeric for color
dash or two of Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons oil
3 ounces spicy tofu pieces, diced
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups fresh baby spinach, chiffonade
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (such as Daiya)
1/8 cup soy milk
6 sheets vegan puff pastry dough, thawed
poppy and sesame seeds, optional
- Blend soy yogurt mustard, nutritional yeast, Tabasco and turmeric together and set aside.
- Prepare the onions, garlic, red pepper, spinach and tofu pieces.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onion until it begins to soften and become glassy.
- Add the red pepper pieces and continue sauteing.
- Add the spicy tofu pieces.
- Add the spinach and cook until lightly wilted.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and crumbled tofu.
- Stir well.
- Add the soy yogurt mixture and cook until the mixture begins to become sold and the liquids are coked off.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 shredded vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Place the 6 sheets of thawed puff pastry next to each other in a row 3 by 2, slightly overlapping and using soy milk to connect the overlapping slices together.
- Spoon the tofu mixture down center of pastry, leaving a one inch margin on top and bottom and three inch borders on each side.
- Cut pastry on side borders into one inch strips.
- Crisscross strips over top of filling, lightly brush each tip with soy milk to help stick the strips together.
- Brush top and sides of pastry with soy milk and top with seeds if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from oven and let cool a bit before slicing to serve.