Bagel Base - toast and spread nut butter(s) on top:
1 bagel or 2 slices toast (any variety)
1 Tbsp chunky almond butter (or other nut butter)
1 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut butter
1 large banana
1-2 tsp Earth Balance vegan butter
OR extra virgin coconut oil + pinch of salt
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
a few pinches of cinnamon
a few pinches orange zest
a few drops vanilla extract
dash of cayenne for some heat
Flax seeds or flax oil
1. Melt your oil or vegan butter in a saute pan over high heat.
2. Thinly slice your banana into about 3-4 long strips. Place in pan.
3. Add the cinnamon, coconut and optional vanilla and cayenne over top. Allow to cook for a good few minutes until the oil absorbs and the pan is really sizzling.
4. Flip the bananas - they should be nice and blackened with the edges getting crispy. Add more coconut and cinnamon over top and cook for a few more minutes - just before the edges become overly blackened. A bit
of black color and burnt edges is what you want.
5. Turn off heat and quickly add the orange zest to the hot pan so that the aroma warms and infuses
the banana. Next, shake the pan so that the toasted coconut spread in the pan mingles with the cinnamon and orange zest to coat the hot, soft banana in Maui essence. Set pan aside.
5. Toast the bagel or bread, spread with nut butter and add warm banana over top.
6. Add leftover toasted coconut from the pan over top along with chia seeds and or flax seeds or flax oil. Apple slices, citrus, baby spinach, berries, mango, avocado and more would compliment this plate. Serve warm.