2 cups soymilk
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
1/2 cup sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
4-4.5 cups flour
1 shot quality espresso or strong coffee (2-3 T)
4 cups powdered sugar
Streusel Topping (optional)
3-4 Tablespoons Earth Balance
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 Tablespoons flour
- Bring soy milk, oil, maple syrup or agave, and sugar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm or 110 F (30 minutes)
- Once cooled, stir in yeast and let set for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add 4 cups of flour and salt, then add to wet mixture and stir, mixing well, then covering with a towel and letting rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Once doubled in size, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, (or until the dough is no longer incredibly sticky). Mix well and then let the dough sit for about 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface make about 2-inch balls and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving room for expansion.
- Preheat oven to 350 and cover with light towel while warming.
- Once preheated, bake for 10-11 minutes, being careful not to over bake as you don’t want the bottoms too brown.
- Prepare glaze and streusel while baking. Once donuts are done, let them cool slightly and then dunk in glaze and cover with streusel.
- Serve immediately for best result, or store in air-tight container for up to 2 days.