Hearty, old-fashioned rolled oats in the morning will keep you satisfied until lunchtime. Raisins add a bit of natural sweetness with no added sugar.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fortified vanilla soy- or rice milk (optional)
Combine all ingredients, except non-dairy milk, in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Serve plain or with vanilla soy- or rice milk, if desired.
- For Cinnamon-Apricot Oatmeal, replace raisins with 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots. Cook as directed.
- For Cinnamon-Apple Oatmeal, reduce water to 3 1/4 cups and replace raisins with 1 apple, peeled and coarsely chopped. Cook as directed.
- Omit raisins, cook as directed, and top each serving with a dollop (about 1 teaspoon) of fruit-sweetened jam or jelly.