1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour; more as needed
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (non-aluminum if possible)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
7 tablespoons cold Earth Balance buttery sticks, cut into pieces
1/3 cup apple butter
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk
full fat canned coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon apple butter
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut milk
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Line at baking sheet with parchment.
- In a food processor or large bowl, blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. If using a food processor, add margarine and pulse until only pea-sized pieces remain; alternatively using two knives, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until a few pea-size lumps remain.
- Put mixture in a large bowl and stir in apples.
- Whisk together the apple butter and 3/4 cup coconut milk, add to the flour and gradually stir until the mixture just comes together, add additional tablespoons of coconut milk if needed. The dough should hold together when squeezed but not be wet.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat gently into a 6-inch circle about 1 inch high. Using a chef’s knife or bench knife, cut the dough into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet, brush the tops with coconut milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until the tops are golden, 25 to 30 minutes for smaller scones and 30 to 35 minutes for larger. Transfer the scones to a wire rack and let cool.
- Mix together the icing sugar, apple butter and coconut milk. Once cool enough, drizzle over scones.