4- ½ lb. Sweet Potatoes, Washed/Scrubbed
1½ C. Dried Pasta
1 C. Baked Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
½ C. Vegetable Broth
⅓ C. Raw Cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours or for 20 minutes in boiling water
3 T. Nutritional Yeast
1 Clove of Garlic
½ T. Lemon Juice
½ tsp. Dijon Mustard
½ tsp. Chipotle Flakes
½ tsp. Smoked Paprika
½ tsp. Liquid Smoke
½ tsp. Sea Salt
¼ tsp. Turmeric (for color)
1 C. Packed Kale, Chopped with Stems Removed
¾ C. Tomato, Diced
⅓ C. Yellow Corn Kernels
¼ C. Green Onion, Diced (plus more for garnish, which is optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Wrap each sweet potato, separately, in foil and bake for 35-45 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, start cooking the pasta by following the directions as the package describes (cooking times are different on most).
- Take the pumpkin, cashews, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, chipotle flakes, paprika, liquid smoke, sea salt and turmeric in a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water. Place the pot back on the stove, over low-medium heat.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the pot, and add the kale, tomato, corn and green onion, as well.
- Stir it all together and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the kale is wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Next, lower the heat and cover the pot until the sweet potatoes are done, if they aren’t already.
- Once the potatoes are done take them out of the oven and wait 5-10 minutes for them to cool, then unwrap, slice down the center to split and, if you have it, sprinkle a pinch of smoked salt over the potatoes.