2 slices large, round eggplant
2 slices red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced red onion
2 teaspoons extra light olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
A few sprinkles Himalayan/sea salt
A sprinkle of fennel seeds
1 whole wheat burger bun (or 1/3 whole grain bun)
1 tablespoon pasta sauce
1 purple/Boston lettuce leaf
1 slice tomato
A sprinkle of pepper
- Chop two slices of eggplant (not too thin or thick), two slices of red bell pepper and about ½ cup of red onions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the three in a large bowl and add the extra light olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and fennel seeds. Give it a good stir and make sure the spices marinate all the vegetables.
- Place them in an oven tray without overlapping and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the eggplants and onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bread or bun by cutting it in the middle so the bun splits in two and put it in the toaster oven or oven for a few minutes until the edges have browned. Also, prepare the sliced tomatoes and pasta sauce.
- Once the veggies are ready, lay the bread out on the table.
- Assembling the Burger: First, add the lettuce leaves, then an eggplant, tomato slice, pepper slice, some onions, another eggplant slice, another bell pepper slice and top it off with any remaining onions. Finally, add the pasta sauce and some pepper, and close the burger.