1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
kosher salt and black pepper
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
crusty bread (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the chickpeas and cannellini and kidney beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, remaining ¼ cup oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with the bread, if desired.