- 1 cup dates, pitted and halved
- 1½ cups apple juice
- 3 cups rolled oats, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen also works)
- ½ cup walnuts
1. In a small bowl, soak the dates in the apple juice for 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the sides are covered. Cut slits in the corners of the paper so that it overlaps and lies flat.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the rolled oats with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder. Mix and set aside.
3. Place the remaining 1 cup of rolled oats, the bananas, and the vanilla extract into a blender. Remove the dates from the apple juice and set aside. Strain the juice, add it to the blender, and blend until creamy.
4. Add the dates to the blender, and pulse a few times until the dates are in small pieces.
5. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix well. Stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
6. Using a spatula, pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.