1/2 cup quinoa
3/4 cup uncooked small red lentils
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 small head cauliflower, cut up
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 small pattypan squash, cut up
1 bay leaf
2 inch piece cinnamon stick
2 slices fresh ginger, minced
1 Thai bird’s eye chili, sliced (seeds removed if you want less heat)
6 cups water or unsalted soup stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
2 cups chopped fresh kale
1. Wash lentils and quinoa and drain in a sieve.
2. Place in a large slow cooker.
3. Add chopped vegetables, except fresh cilantro and kale.
4. Add all seasonings.
5. Add stock/water.
6. Mix well and cover with lid.
7. Cook on ‘Low’ for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
8. In the last half hour of cooking, turn the heat up to ‘High’ and add the fresh cilantro and kale.
9. Cover and let finish cooking.