Lemon Pepper Cashew Walnut Spread
makes about 2 cups
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw walnuts
3/4 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
1/2 juicy lemon + pinch of zest
4-7 generous dashes of fine black pepper + 2-3 pinches of salt
slices of tomato and onion, herb salad mix, bagels, fine black pepper - garnish: slices of lemon (from the other half)
sliced avocado, sprouts, sliced white peaches, sliced apple, chopped garden herbs
1. Soak raw cashews in salted water until tender.
2. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Add them to a Vitamix or food processor. Also add: lemon, soy milk and half the walnuts. Note: feeling adventurous? try vanilla soy milk. Tastes like peppery-ish lemon cream pie spread.
3. Blend from low to high for a few minutes until the mixture becomes smooth. Salt + pepper to taste. Add in more walnuts as needed to achieve a hummus-like consistency. Blend until nice and smooth.
4. Do a taste test and add more spices + salt as desired. If you are serving the spread within a few minutes - place it in the freezer to chill and thicken up a bit. If serving later - just place in the fridge - covered - until needed.
5. Toast bagels, add the spread. Then tomato, onion, greens and pepper on top. Garnish with lemon zest or lemon slices.