1/3 heaping cup oat flour (ground from rolled oats)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all purpose
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 heaping cup fresh cherries, pitted and lightly chopped
1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Measure out almond milk in a liquid measuring cup, then add melted coconut oil and almond extract and stir. If coconut oil clots up, simply microwave the liquid ingredients for 20-30 seconds until melted again.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Fold in cherries and 3/4 of the dark chocolate until just combined.
- Spoon into 9 greased or paper-lined muffin tins and top with remaining chocolate.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let rest in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm with a little non-dairy butter or plain. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh – transfer to freezer after a couple days.