1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided
2 cups veggie broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (half portobello and half button mushrooms), cut into large 2-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegan sour cream – optional
10 turns of fresh ground, black pepper
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Cook the noodles per the direction on the package. Under cook them a bit because they will be cooked again once incorporated into the sauce.
- Drain, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions for three minutes on medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice and tomato paste, while stirring at the same time. Stir until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- Add the vinegar and simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Add the noodles, sour cream, 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper and parsley and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.