For the Biscuits:
3 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 cup soy milk, curdled with the juice of 1 lemon
For the Breakfast Sandwiches:
5 slices firm tofu
1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic salt, and turmeric
1/2 cup vegan cheddar
5 slices smokey-maple tempeh
5 tomato slices
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Make the Biscuts:
1. Use a fork to combine the Earth Balance, flour, baking soda, and salt until a crumbly mixture forms.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, soy milk, and lemon juice.
3. Make a well in the center of your flour mixture, pour the soy milk mixture into the center of the well, then use a fork to begin stirring the mixture in one direction.
4. Stir just until the mixture is moistened, then turn it out onto a floured board. Knead four times, then roll into 3/4" thick.
5. Cut into rounds, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. If desired, melt an additional tablespoon of Earth Balance and use a basting brush to brush the tops of each biscuit before placing them into the oven.
7. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or just until the edges of the biscuits are light golden brown.
To Make Breakfast Sandwiches:
1. Sprinkle the tofu with a small amount of the spice mixture.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat, spray it generously with nonstick olive oil spray once it's heated. Place the seasoned tofu into the pan, grill until golden brown on one side.
3. Flip the tofu, sprinkle vegan cheddar on top, then add the tempeh to the pan. Allow to cook until the cheese is melted and the tempeh is hot.
4. Slice hot biscuits in half, place a piece of tofu and two half-slices of tempeh inside.
5. Top with a salted & peppered tomato slice, as well as a few of your favorite sprouts.