8 ounces tempeh, sliced through the length once, then each 1/2 piece cut into fours.
4 cloves of garlic, pressed.
1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce or Bragg's amino acid liquid)
Vegetable oil for frying
- Steam tempeh for 10 minutes.
- While it's steaming, put all the ingredients EXCEPT the tamari into a blender and blend until relatively .smooth.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of the chimichurri (blender content) into a measuring cup and add the tamari to make the marinade.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the marinade into a plate. Place the warm tempeh on the plate and pour the 1/2 the marinade over it. Rub in the marinade on top of the tempeh. Let sit for 1/2 and hour, flip the tempeh, rub in the rest of the marinade on that side. Let sit for another 1/2 hour.
- Preheat a large, heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Cover the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, place all the tempeh in the pan at once and cook until golden brown. Flip the tempeh (add more oil if necessary) and cook until golden brown
- To serve, use the remaining chimichurri (without tamari) as a sauce on top of the tempeh.