2 cups spelt flour
1 cup white flour
3 extra-ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (or applesauce)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest
1 large orange, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
2-3 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tsp salt (omit if using salted nuts/seeds)
1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
1/2 cup crushed pecans/nuts (optional)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
2 tbsp crushed/whole flax seeds (optional)
*Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees*
1. Add flour, dry spices, salt and baking powder to a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
2. Add in the soy or coconut milk, oil, vanilla extract, bananas, pumpkin or applesauce, orange juice and maple syrup. Stir well.
3. Fold in pumpkin seeds, 1 tsp of the orange zest, and additional nuts and/or dried fruit like cranberries. If you add in lots of dried extras, you may want to increase the liquid by a few Tbsp.
4. Lay a sheet of parchment paper over a shallow 8 x 14" baking pan/dish (for bars) or line muffin tin.
5. Pour batter into baking dish. Smooth out for bars.
6. Over top the batter sprinkle pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, the other tsp of orange zest and an extra drizzle or agave or maple syrup.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how thick your bars/muffins are. Should be lightly browned on edges.
8. Remove. Cool. Serve.