2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 Tbsp water)
4 medium ripe bananas
heaping 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) or coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached all purpose)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup raw sugar
5 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
2 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a standard size muffin tin (will make 10-11 muffins).
2. Prepare flax egg in a large mixing bowl. Let set for 5 minutes.
3. Add banana and mash, leaving just a bit of texture.
4. Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for one minute.
5. Stir in vanilla, melted butter and mix.
6. Add flour and oats and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Lastly, fold in walnuts (optional).
7. Divide batter evenly among 10-11 muffin tins, filling a generous 3/4 full.
8. Quickly wipe your mixing bowl and add crumble ingredients. Prepare crumble top by mashing ingredients together with a fork until crumbly like wet sand. Generously top muffins with streusel. You should have leftovers.
9. Bake for 17-22 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, remove from muffin tin and serve warm.