2 tbsp ground flax seeds
6 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
3/4 cup spicy vegan BBQ sauce, recipe below
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups cooked green lentils, cooled and split into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, split in half *see note
1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Add the ground flax seeds to a small bowl, pour the boiling hot water over and stir to combine well. Set aside and allow it to thicken and cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5-8 minutes until the onions are tender. Add in the mushrooms and cook another 3 to 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, add in the thyme and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Add in 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce, stir to combine and turn off the heat, add salt and pepper to taste, if it needs it.
- Process 1 1/2 cups of the cooked lentils and 1/2 cup of the oats in the food processor until smooth (some whole bits may remain, that’s ok). Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, add in the remaining lentils and oats, plus the flax “egg”, almond flour and vegetable mixture. Stir really well to combine. Then get your hands in there, just like you would with a regular meat loaf or meatballs, and make sure it is mixed and mashed together really well.
- Spoon the mixture into a parchment paper lined 9″ x 5″ loaf pan, (leave a bit of the parchment paper hanging over so you can easily lift the loaf out when it is cooked). Using your hands, you really want to press it in good. Brush on the remaining 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes at 375F. Cool in the pan for about 5,pull the loaf out by grabbing the sides of the parchment paper and lifting up and allow it to cool for another 5 to 10 minutes on a cooking rack. Slice and serve.