1 1/2 cups raw chickpeas, black-eyed peas or a mix, soaked overnight
1 cup millet, quinoa, or brown rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb mixed greens - kale, collards, mustard greens, Swiss chard
1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
1. Drain the beans that you've soaked overnight (about 16 hours). Put in a pot and cover with water until the water is about an inch higher than the beans. Add about 1 tbsp salt to the water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Put the millet in a pan and cover with 3 cups water. Cover, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20-25 minutes or until water has evaporated. Set aside.
3. In the meantime, heat the oil in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and chili and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
4. Add the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, curry powder, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the greens and stir until wilted.
5. Add the coconut milk and millet and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste. Serve warm.