1 cup black or red quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, seeded and finely diced
1 bunch curly parsley, chopped
10 mint leaves, finely chopped
1small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
juice of two lemons
1/4 cup olive oil (more to taste)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
splash of white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar (optional)
1. To make the quinoa, first rinse one cup of quinoa in a mesh colander under running water. That washes away the bitter saponins on the surface.
2. Put the rinsed quinoa into a medium sized pan on the stove. Add two cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Cover and simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes, until the water is absorbed. Once it’s done, remove from heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
4. Let the quinoa cool, then toss in the rest of your ingredients.
5. Add more olive oil, salt or pepper, and/or vinegar to taste.
6. If you have time, cover and let the salad chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight, to let the flavors blend together.